- Tabs Sidebar
- Manage open document tabs from the sidebar.
- 132 Installs
This extension is allowed to:
- Read Files
- Launch Subprocesses
Tabs Sidebar provides a sidebar to list and manage your currently open document tabs.
It was inspired by the Tab List Nova extension, but is a complete rewrite with numerous improvements and new features.
- Sort by tab bar order, file kind, or alphabetically
- Sort by custom order using up/down buttons and context menu
- Custom sort order is saved in project config
- Group by kind, based on syntax
- Indicators for unsaved tab, remote tab, and in trash
- Right-click context menu with options to "Close Tab", "Show in Finder", "Copy Path", etc.
- Option to open tab on single click or double click
- Option to show or hide parent folder names
- Option to show file count when grouping by kind
Tabs Sidebar uses AppleScript to read and activate certain menubar items such as "Close Tab", "Show in Files Sidebar", and "Clean Up By Tab Bar Order". Accessibility permissions must be granted to Nova to perform these actions.
To give Nova accessibility permissions, open System Preferences → Security & Privacy → Accessibility, click the lock to make changes, and check on Nova in the list.
To use Tabs Sidebar:
- From the "All Sidebars" panel, click and drag the "Tabs" item up into the toolbar or out into a new split
- All open document tabs will be listed in the sidebar. Click or double-click an item to open its tab
- Click the up/down buttons when a tab is selected to rearrange the list
- Right-click in the sidebar or click the (…) button for sorting options
- If "Group By Kind" or "Sort Alphabetically" are enabled, custom sorting is not available. When both are disabled, custom order is restored.
To configure global preferences, open Extensions → Extension Library... then select Tabs Sidebar's Preferences tab.
- Tabs Sidebar cannot rearrange Nova's tab bar because there is currently no API, menu item, or keyboard shortcut for managing tabs order
- Cannot differentiate between a local file and remote file with the same name, leading to inconsistent opening and sorting. This is due to the Window menu not indicating which files are remote.
- Does not update list when document file path or syntax changes — coming soon
- ~~Cannot close remote files from the sidebar — coming soon~~
v1.3.1 - 2022-08-08
- Bug with timeoutId causing extension to fail to load
v1.3.0 - 2022-08-07
- Ability to close remote tabs from the context menu
- Always activate extension no matter which documents are in workspace
- Refactored opening remote tabs
- Newly opened tabs being placed in wrong order
v1.2.1 - 2022-08-05
- Improved performance of load on activation
v1.2.0 - 2022-08-05
- Refresh command for when file name/path or syntax changes
- Greatly improved performance of moving tabs up/down by only refreshing moved items
- Scroll tab into view when moving up/down or focusing in editor
- Error when trying to move tab past end rapidly
v1.1.8 - 2022-08-03
- Prevent error popup when attempting to move tabs too quickly past end
- Prevent error popup when moving tabs up/down too quickly
- Don't try to open document if it's already the one that's opened
- Make shell scripts executable using Process instead of fs.chmod
- Correct size for extension icon
- Keep last document open when opening project
- Resolve rapid tab switching bug on launch
- Added new logo
- Updated TODO
v1.1.0 - 2022-08-02
- Automatically make shell scripts executable if they are not already
- Fixes certain commands not working
v1.0.0 - 2022-08-02